At Local Foot Doc, you can receive the highest standard of podiatric care to treat your ankle injury, so you can get back to the things that matter most. With two offices in Brooklyn, New York, and locations in the Queens neighborhoods of Woodhaven, Forest Hills, and Astoria, empathetic podiatrist Waldemar Majdanski, DPM, FACFAS, and the highly qualified team of doctors know that ankle injuries can have an adverse effect on your overall quality of life and the way you move and walk. Recover from your ankle injury with prompt, personalized, and effective care. Call any of the offices or book online today.
What are some of the most common ankle injuries?
Ankle injuries can occur suddenly, or they can develop over time. Some of the most common ankle injuries include:
- Damage or injury to the Achilles tendon (Achilles tendinitis)
- Strains and sprains
- Joint or muscle injuries
- Broken bones
- Swollen muscles
The right medical care for your ankle injury can give you relief, help prevent any possible complications, help you recover, and protect your health.
Your ankle is made up of muscles, ligaments, tendons, and bones. Your ankle is strong enough to enable you to move and function and bear your body weight.
With an ankle injury, you might have pain on either the inside or outside of your ankle, or along the Achilles tendon. In some cases, a damaged ankle and ankle injury can lead to arthritis of the ankle joints over time.
What causes ankle injuries?
Ankle injuries can occur due to a number of reasons, such as:
- Improper stretching, warm-up, cool down, or training practices during sports
- Improper sporting gear when playing sports
- Trauma from a motor vehicle accident or some other accident
- Overuse of the ankle joints or muscles, such as from excessive running or jumping
- A fall that involves landing awkwardly on your ankle
- Twisting your foot
Many people have ankle injuries after falling over while playing sports or engaging in fun activities, such as skateboarding or football.
What is the treatment for an ankle injury?
The right treatment for your ankle injury depends on the type and cause. Dr. Majdanski might suggest:
- Medications to relieve pain and inflammation
- RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation of the injured area)
- Assistive orthotic devices, such as an ankle boot
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy
- A personal exercise and rehabilitation program
- Surgery when necessary, such as a tendon repair
Dr. Majdanski might suggest lifestyle changes, such as stress management and optimal nutrition, to improve your general wellness and help you recover from your ankle injury.
To reduce ankle pain at home, you can:
- Rest frequently and try not to put too much weight on your ankle
- Use a compression bandage to reduce swelling
- Elevate your foot
- Use over-the-counter pain medications
You could also try placing an ice pack on your ankle for 15 minutes three times daily to decrease swelling and inflammation.
Obtain valuable medical guidance and support from a provider trained in the specific functions of the foot and ankle.
If you’re experiencing a foot or ankle-related complication and you’ve had an ankle injury, visit Local Foot Doc to find relief. Click or call your nearest office for your personal consultation.